Sunday, January 17, 2010

Our Slumber Party

Last night we had a slumber party on the family room floor with Maddox. The evening started with a trip to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things where Maddox very proudly got a new bed skirt. She has no clue what it is or what it's for but she carried that bed skirt all over the store, walking around saying "bed skirt . . . bed skirt . . . bed skirt" in an excited voice. We then picked up a pizza and movie and headed home. We watched Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and had popcorn. We all three had our sleeping bags laid out and Maddox's was in her little tent. She was SO excited to see Mom and Dad with sleeping bags next to hers. She rolled around the floor and in the tent giggling and laughing ecstatically for a while. She loved the movie and ate most of the popcorn. By the time it was over it was 10:30 so I told her it was night-night time and we turned out the lights. Jeremy was asleep in about a minute and Maddox laid quietly in her sleeping bag holding my hand and fell asleep shortly after. I, on the other hand, did not follow suit. I laid there for a while, got up to go to the bathroom, then laid around some more. One of the problems was that the baby was having a party in my uterus and it was NOT a slumber party. Another problem was that all that pizza, popcorn, and Pepsi got to me and I had some major heartburn. (Jeremy informed me this morning that he had found Tums in the medicine cabinet. Thanks a lot.) I guess I dozed for a while off and on but spent much of that time flipping from one hip to the other. My hips are not made to sleep on a hard floor, but even more so with pregnant hips. I was shoving pillows under my hips, blankets, trying to lay more on my stomach which obviously doesn't work. By 1am my hips could not take it anymore and I was switching sides at least every 10 minutes. I am too old to sleep on the floor and now understand why the New G sponsors tried to avoid sleeping in churches while we kids loved it. I couldn't come to bed because if Maddox woke up and was worried about where she was or couldn't sleep anymore there I wouldn't be there. Jeremy is not help in this department as he would never wake up short of Maddox crawling on him and beating him silly. So I got ready to move to the couch but about the same time Maddox started flipping, tossing, turning, twisting around, whining, sighing, and couldn't get comfortable either. After about 10 minutes she sat up, saw me watching her and crawled into my arms and fell asleep on my shoulder. I put her in her bed and me in mine. Funny enough, even the cat and dog followed me to the bed and we all left Jeremy alone on the floor having his own slumber party. The slumber party was a fun idea but we'll have to alter it next time and make a squishy pallet for me. And there will be a next time because Maddox needs more practice sleeping on the floor in her sleeping bag. It's going to be hard to go camping this summer if she doesn't master it. Jeremy and I are set for that, we have an air mattress.

No comments: